10.24.2014

Being in Order

Over the past month I have been extremely productive in preparing my first solo show. Not only will I be displaying a few previously finalized pieces, but I will be introducing at least seven new pieces as well. Lately I have been asked what kind of art do I do and I struggle with the mediums description. "Mixed media" is just as vague and bland as "painting", not that painting is worthless, but there is more to be said than just mixed media or painting. 

So, I have taken huge leaps away from traditional art creation process falling into a realm of three-dimensional sculpture blended with mixed-media. At my work space I find paintbrushes used less and less and a drill in my hand more often than a pencil. I take on a great deal of materials that I find all over the place and rework their meanings and relationships, which creates an awesome thought process of problem solving and handiwork. The art that I will be unveiling is very similar to a recently finished piece, which will be in the show, called Picnic of Purposeless[ness], posted just a few months prior.


The subject matter varies a great deal including everything from the business of sex to the genocide of the indigenous peoples of this continent. Of course, the art will speak for itself and, as art usually becomes, subject and meaning is solely up to the viewer.

I am very ecstatic to have been asked to put on a show by the great people at Arts Alive here in Burlington, VT. They are a great organization and so helpful to meeting artists with locations. If you find yourself perusing the wonderful First Friday Art event on the 7th of November stop on by and say hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment