5.30.2014

Faucets (Lamp)


I was asked to create a lamp for a Give Way to Freedom event held in Burlington, Vermont. The piece will be involved in a silent auction to raise money and awareness to shine a light on the human trafficking dilemma. Fourteen other artists will also be contributing up-cycled, recycled, and original pieces to the event. More information on the event can be found at www.facebook.com/events/141926259311416/ and information of Give Way to Freedom is found at www.givewaytofreedom.org and 

At first I was a bit weary and unsure of how I was to design an art piece that moves into the realm of functionality. With most of my recent art pieces deriving through the use of found or discovered objects I figured that would be the correct route to travel down. Over the past few months I have collected all kinds of items that have interested me through material and reflected light. I search out objects that hold a feeling of heaviness and come from a time when our homes and lives were built on a smaller mass manufactured way.




The design of the final piece was put together to bring simple curves and color together while maintaining reflection on parts of the piece. This was a way to pull the three main objects (the champagne bottle, the faucets, and the light fixture) together as they are three objects not usually found together. The relationship of the pieces are developed by the light as well as shape. I placed the items in ways to keep movement to the piece and break up any rigid suggestions that may develop. Also, a sense of the negative space begins to emerge as well. Overall I wanted the piece to glorify simple curves, create a feeling of fragility and a feeling of oddity.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for.
    Bathtub Faucets

    ReplyDelete