2.21.2014

Arrival to New England


I have arrived back in New England and of course began reflecting upon our travels across the country. I utilize the written word as well as the my hand in creating a few pieces and have much more in the works. I have continued to explore many different mediums and feel as though I am beginning to understand a few of them much better. 


The Werkin' Man
newspaper canvas, block print, acrylic paint

This is a rework of a piece that I finished a few years ago. One of the best reasons for using block print is to be able to reprint and even re-imagine pieces. I had left the original piece with a friend in trade of his hospitably when we were traveling on the road. I came back to creating a canvas as I did with the original piece out of layered newsprint done in a similar fashion to paper mache. I used the business section of many Chinese newspapers to reflect the basis of America's work force dependent on an unfamiliar language and economy. I originally had this piece finished in black and white, but came back to reanimate the subject as I saw his facial features craving color. I chose a palate that would suffice and appear as cartoonish to parallel my humorous take on working.




A Map of the Mind
pen, colored pencil

I began this work due to research for a new tattoo that may one day materialize. I sat down and began putting elements that had many meaning to what it takes to have mental understanding. In the past I have not been so patient as I have with this piece, but I found precision and attention can create a very organized and organic piece at the same time. I am further investigating this style that I stumbled upon. Although there are many allusions found in this piece I will touch on a few that I find strongest. The crown found on the upper portion of the middle is to resemble our loyalty to oneself. The key and key hole just below it to resemble the locked portion of our subconscious and how we may have the key, but sometimes lack the knowledge to unlocking that realm. The compass found at the bottom is to express the directions that our mind is constantly moving in, sometimes measurable and sometimes not. Of course the viewer is welcome to dive deeper and find their personal meanings to many more of the elements found in the work.




The Thirty-Somethings
watercolor, block print

I carved this piece with no intention of further development and it sat dormant in my stack of material for sometime. I enjoy the meticulous execution of block print and further enjoy the results that one obtains but translating a sketch into a negative carving so I sometimes create in hopes that the future may find a finished product. The two figures stared out from my pile one day and I was uncomfortable with their stare and felt as though they awaited completion. I painted a dynamic wallpaper to be their backdrop to rival interest over the figures and in a way it becomes just as interesting and beautiful as they may be. I allow the viewer to develop their own back stories and reasoning for posture in the two figures.


No comments:

Post a Comment