12.20.2015

The Wind



For my final piece of the season on the L.I. Sound, I wanted a piece that was pleasing in composition. I decided on a structural piece that would seem to flow with wind although stationary. In autumn, you feel the wind once you approach the beach, coming over the water from the northwest. Nature's powerful breath. Anything exposed to the wind is affected by this movement of the air; the stones, the water, the trees, migration and so on.



I spent a good portion of a shortening day wandering the beach for parts that would work for the final piece. I love the abundance and the quality of the wood that is brought in by the tides. It took some balancing and many trials, but in time I found the composition and tightened it up. The piece lasted for many days until the tide and the wind slowly toppled the piece and casted it all about the shore and into the water, just as the items were previously.


No comments:

Post a Comment