10.23.2015

Beach Nest/Fun with Instagram

While wondering along the smooth pebbles on a gorgeous summer evening, I was overtaken by the urge to create another art piece on the LI sound's shore. I didn't have anything particular in mind, so I got to poking around various debris that had been washed ashore. The high tide creates a wandering line of seaweed that has snagged grasses, sticks, and other small items floating about in the ocean. Together it creates such a wonderful array of color and texture. I was drawn to the source for material.


The scratchy seaweed acts as velcro as it grips to itself nicely. I immediately thought about how it is very similar to the way a bird's nest tucks together, which is the concept I decided to go with. I gathered a collection of drift wood and created a frame, gathered seaweed, and packed it in. There was all sorts of human trash such as ribbon, balloons, and rope that I also decided to tuck in which we find common with most of nature.The piece needed some pop and a bit more suggestion of a nest, so I collected in the whitest rocks I could find along with some golf balls and plastic soda caps.


The piece tucks nicely in the crock of a old tree washed ashore and sparks some interest from shore line wanders. The following photo was taken days later after the seaweed has sagged substantially.




Fun with Instagram:

I had a friend visiting who was the owner of those fancy and addictive technological devices knows as an iPhone. I inquired if he had Instagram on the device, which he surely did. Together we assembled a set that we would photograph using beach debris and play around with Instagram (which I have learned is an simple touch version of Photoshop). We sought out to create a surreal style shot. Total time for completion, roughly 35 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment