7.13.2012

Creature From the Deep

The roots from beneath my feet in New England has gladly been pulled and I am now mobile across the great USA. The first stop on an adventure in search of inspiration, relationships, and knowledge is the great state of Montana. For the summer the old VW Westfalia, myself, and my fiance are stationed on a farm in a very small town just north of Bozeman. We find ourselves surrounded by musicians, artists, writers, and wonderful thinkers. It is hard not to visualize art, write endlessly, and morph ideas over and over in such an atmosphere.

The group we are with pushes to have an art project done every few weeks or so. This entails only found objects incorporated into any way seen fit. There is no medium restrictions, there is no size restrictions, and there are no subject restrictions. After scouring the fields and piles of rusty metal a being from the depths of my mind and reflective of those found in the depths of the ocean emerged. Most of the material I found began to play off each other as I conjured ways to construct the pieces together to achieve what I was looking for:




In the end this piece is a study of my imagination and my handy work. I greatly enjoy working with found items or recycled materials, but I then to restrict what I believe I can do. Working with these metals and bolts and wire is a new material that I greatly enjoyed and look forward to pursuing further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment