12.13.2011

Big Business Reigns

I was scribbling away in my sketchbook one day awhile back and came up with an interesting silhouetted icon. The icon was that of a faceless business man. As I biked around the city in years past I always felt the sidewalks were flooded by these faceless business men trooping along in the morning and evening, sometimes for lunch break or maybe a meeting. No individual ever stood out to me, but they all wore pretty much the same thing and blended together. The idea swirled around in my head and I came up with a pretty simple and sharp icon. It became the inspiration for this piece and actually the smallest part of the whole thing (the lower two rows).


In the grand scheme of the piece I wanted to portray the looming monster that has taken over most of our small towns and the identities of our beloved cities. That monster is corporate, global expansion, a Starbucks on every corner, the same city stenciled over and over- that monster is big business. A faceless expanding mob that has destroyed the way we interact with our needs, desires, and forward progress as individuals. It has eaten up our small business and local cultures and packages up new technologies that must conveniently change every 6-8 months. The main figure in the piece can be seen as small business, it can be seen as the viewer, or even the country from years past.


I find the process/medium that I have been exploring lately very fascinating. I greatly enjoy the way that art can still hang on the way, but jump out of the 2D playing field. It is a great way to have the viewer move their eyes not just across the piece, but into the piece and around the shadows. I believe that a true moment in time can be captured into the medium. A statement is made and comes at you and your view moves into it and around it. I believe I will move forward with this medium and explore different options deeper.

Made out of hand-cut wood, spray paint, colored pencil, sharpie and ball point pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment