3.09.2013

A Man, A Fox

The terrain around us is covered in a vast coat of white, blue, and, depending on the sun's mood, yellow-red-purple-.... A little creature darts along the crusty snow in search of scraps and a warm spot to rest. The wise and cunning fox is member of the season, not an intruder, not a enemy.

In the coming months of Spring diving into the warmth of Summer I will be once again emerged into color, music, and inspiration. Included in that is the connection - the communities - that derive in various festivals, gatherings, and, the simplest, parties. Once amidst, I wanted to portray a spirit that we as people may not understand and one I do not as well. But behind the mask of such a spirit, I can believe. I can entertain. I can become something I am not and enjoy the vacation from the human spirit. I have created this mask for such events. 



About three weeks took over all of my artistic energy. That time comprised of diligent layers followed by sanding and then frustrating and minute painting. I have never used paper mache before [once while in the third grade... and it was a very educational time while I worked with it. I will complete the piece with some feathers that I must surely find in the forests and a very nice ribbon to hold the window fast upon my face.
I am also currently working on one for my wonderful and inspirational partner in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment